Saturday, April 4, 2009

BBQ sauce



I was SO excited to make my own barbecue sauce. I mean, there are legions of people whose sole work in food is BBQ--it gets its own category in cooking contests! As we do so often at my house, I researched a few recipes and took what I thought was best from all of them to make my own.

BBQ Sauce
1/2 c. ketchup
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. cider vinegar
1 t. garlic powder[1]
1/4 t. mustard powder
1/4 t. salt
1 T. liquid smoke[2]

In a small saucepan over medium hear, stir together all ingredients. Bring to a simmer, cook several minutes, then cool slightly before using.[3]

Notes:
[1] Usually I like fresh garlic in recipes, but the powder would allow for a very smooth consistency in the finished sauce. (I wanted a smooth consistence for the dish I was making the sauce for.)
[2] We happened to have hickory flavor on hand.
[3] I whisked the sauce nearly the entire time it was on the stove. I had the sauce on the heat for about 20 minutes in total.

Ratings
ME: 4/5
For being my first attempt at homemade BBQ sauce, I thought this was pretty good. Easy to make, tangy & sweet (and a little kick in the back of your throat when you don't expect it), and thick without being heavy or syrupy.


No comments: