Saturday, February 28, 2009

Funfetti cupcakes w/ buttercream frosting

I've always been a box-mix kinda girl. My cousin used to spoil her kids/husband and make homemade cupcakes, and I just didn't get it. But then I grew up and I guess my definition of "good" or "tasty" changed (dare I say matured?). Here's my first attempt at homemade cupcakes.
Funfetti Cupcakes (taken from I Heart Cuppycakes)
Makes about 12 cupcakes.[1]

1 & 1/4 c. flour [2]
1 & 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
3/4 c. sugar
6 T. butter, room temperature
1 large egg + 1 egg white, room temperature
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 c. milk
2 t. sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.

In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer fitted with flat beater, beat sugar and butter until well combined, about 2-3 minutes. Add egg and egg white, one at a time, beating on low. Add vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture, alternating with mile in 2 additions, ending with flour mixture. Fold in sprinkles.

Fill cupcake liners about 1/2 - 2/3 full. Bake 17-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack before frosting. Frost with vanilla buttercream (below) and garnish with more sprinkles.


Vanilla Buttercream (taken from I Heart Cuppycakes)

2 sticks butter
7 c. powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 c. milk
1 t. vanilla

In stand mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter until creamy, 2-3 minutes. Add 5 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract; beat until well combined. Add more powdered sugar until you get to the consistency you want.[3] [4] [5]

Notes:
[1] I only got 10 with this recipe, and they weren't overflowing the cup after baking, either.
[2] Regular, all-purpose flour is fine.
[3] I actually only used about 4 1/2 cups total of the powdered sugar and it was a good consistency for piping on the top of the cupcakes.
[4] I made the frosting much earlier than I was ready to use it, so put it in the fridge for a few hours; it spreads/pipes much better at room temperature (and from the heat of your hands on the piping bag).
[5] I only used about 1/2 a batch and the rest of the frosting is in my freezer. I'll let you know how it comes out the next time I go to use it.



No comments: